Blustery day causes damage in San Francisco Bay Area.

The San Francisco Bay Area experienced the worst of the storm on Sunday night as heavy rain and powerful winds wreaked havoc throughout the region. While the storm has passed, residents will continue to face the aftermath in the coming days. Over 300,000 households in the Bay Area are still without power, some roads remain closed, and reports of damaged homes and vehicles have emerged.

Although concerns about flooding were prevalent before the storm, it was ultimately the fierce winds that caused more problems. Towering trees fell onto highways, blocking traffic, and ferries on the San Francisco Bay were called back to shore. The impact of the storm even reached Noe Valley, where an outdoor dining structure slid into the middle of the road. Fortunately, bar patrons and neighbors quickly rushed to push it back into place.

In Marin County, winds reached speeds of up to 90 miles per hour on mountain tops, resulting in the destruction of trees, power lines, and structures. Trina Baucom, who was near the Point Reyes Lighthouse parking lot, experienced the intensity of the storm as rocks and sand flew across the roadway, causing her Jeep Wrangler to sway precariously. Meanwhile, on a nearby cattle ranch, William Nunes witnessed the wind uproot a calf hutch and send it soaring through the air.

San Francisco faced its own challenges during the storm. At 18th and Market streets, a massive pine tree on a city-owned hill toppled over, triggering a small landslide that sent soil and tree limbs tumbling onto the road. As arborists were called in to remove the fallen tree, officials closed that section of Market Street, a major thoroughfare. The scarcity of arborists in the city became evident, with Sgt. Mike Mitchell of the San Francisco Police Department highlighting the need for more resources to maintain the urban forest.

Throughout the city, numerous tree limbs and entire trees succumbed to the strong winds. A parked car near Oracle Park, home of the San Francisco Giants, was struck by a falling tree, and a road near Twin Peaks was obstructed. The Department of Emergency Management cautioned people to avoid areas with trees, emphasizing the danger posed by the high winds. Thankfully, there were no reports of injuries caused by falling trees.

The impact of the storm extended beyond physical damage. Due to the strong winds, the San Francisco Half Marathon was abruptly canceled, prompting mixed reactions among participants. Some runners were disappointed, while others felt relieved by the decision considering the challenging weather conditions.

Amid the chaos, a moment of respite arrived in the form of a brilliant rainbow that appeared over the city during a sunny break between storms.

Disclaimer: Only the headline and content of this report may have been reworked by Newsearay, staff; the rest of the content is auto-generated from a syndicated feed. The Article was originally published on Source link


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here


Related Articles